Make your own Devonshire Cream Tea
400 grams self-rising flour, plus more for the baking sheet
55 grams butter, cold, plus more for the baking sheet
1/2 teaspoon baking powder (make sure it's level)
1/2 teaspoon salt (make sure it's level)
25 grams sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
- Heat the oven to 205 C/Gas 6. Grease and flour a heavy baking sheet.
- Sieve the flour into a roomy mixing bowl then add the butter, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Quickly rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre and using a dinner knife, stir in the beaten eggs and enough milk to make a soft, lightly sticky but pliable dough.
- Turn the mixture onto a floured board and knead very lightly until just smooth then lightly roll out to 3/4-inch thick.
- Cut rounds with a 3-inch cutter. Place on the baking tray and brush with the beaten egg and milk mixture.
- Bake near the top of the hot oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and well risen.
- Cool on a wire rack before eating. Serve with clotted cream, fruit jam and a pot of your favourite tea.